Jump to content

Killadeas

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is an old revision of this page, as edited by Rockostar (talk | contribs) at 13:53, 29 May 2008 (Fixed Spelling Mistake). The present address (URL) is a permanent link to this revision, which may differ significantly from the current revision.

Template:Infobox Irish Place Killadeas (from Irish Cill Chéile Dé 'The Church of Culdees', an order of priests predominant in Ireland in the Middle Ages) is a small village in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, about 7 miles north of Enniskillen near the shores of Lower Lough Erne. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 90 people. It is within the Fermanagh District Council area.

History

  • In the cemetery of the Parish 'Priory' Church of Killadeas are several interesting stones, probably the most noted is known as the Bishops Stone, a carved figure. To the west of this stone is a large slab, one side of which has at least ten cup-shaped hollows, which suggest this may be a multiple bullaun stone. Near to this is a holde stone and a pillar.
  • The Manor House (Hotel), a converted and extended 19th century country manor, is also situated in Killadeas. The Killadeas Estate was acquired by Captain J Irvine in 1660, and the Manor House, previously konwn as 'Rockfield' (rebuilt 1860) remained part of the Irvine Estate until 1957, when it was purchased for use as a hotel. The Manor House, which has seen many alterations to its design over the centures, was for a brief period, used as an Officer's Mess and Headquarters for the American Forces, during World War II

References

See also